Khalid Sethi, MD, FACS, FAANS
Academic Appointments and Professional Experience
Professor of Neurosurgery, State University of New York, Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, New York – August 2018 to Present
Clinical Asst. Professor, Neurosurgery, State University of New York, Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, New York – August 2002-July 2018
Board Member, UHS Medical Group 2017-2023.
Board Member of the UHSH Medical Executive Committee, 2018-Present
Director of Surgical Services, UHSH, 2018-Present.
Medical Director of Neurosurgery, UHSMedical Group, Lead Provider 2016-Present.
Director of NeuroSciences, Quality Optimiztion and Performance Improvement, UHSH. 2008-Present. Helped develop monthly Morbidity and Mortality meetings, tracking of performance metrics, quality outcome parameters, and cost containment in spinal implants/utilization.
Chief of NeuroSurgery, UHSH, 2003-Present.
Instrumental in the growth of the program from 900 to 1800 neurosurgical cases/year. Helped develop and recruit to build a comprehensive NeuroEndovascular, NeuroCrtitical, NeuroElectrophysiologic,
Comprehensive pain, Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Neurology Programs.
Chief of Neurosurgery, Lourdes Hospital, Ascension Health, 2002-Present.
Instrumental in the growth of the program to 300 cases/year with an outpatient comprehensive spine clinic.
Investigator, Regional Clinical Research, Inc. August 2006-Present
Neurosurgeon, UHS Neurosurgery, 46 Harrison Street, Johnson City, New York 13790 – August 2016 to Present.
Partner, Southern New York NeuroSurgical Group, PC, 46 Harrison Street, Johnson City, New York 13790 – August 2002 to August 2016
Clinical Research Experience
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Phase IV, Randomized, Multi-Center, Open-Label, Prospective, Crossover Study to Evaluate Patient Preference of Movantik™ versus Polyethylene Glycol 3350 (PEG 3350) for Opioid-Induced Constipation (OIC) Treatment
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A phase 2b, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Staphylococcus aureus 4-antigen vaccine (SA4Ag) in adults undergoing elective posterior instrumented lumbar spinal fusion procedures
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – Randomized Study of Failed SCS Trials Comparing Outcomes using the Observational Mechanical Gateway (OMG) Connector
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Prospective, Multicenter, Open-Label Clinical Study of the Safety and Efficacy of the Avenue ® L Interbody Spinal Fusion System using the VerteBRIDGE ® Plating System and Supplemental Posterior Fixation
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Controlled, Comparative Study of SI-6603 in Patients with Lumbar Disc Herniation
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Comparative Study evaluating the St. Jude Medical Invisible Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS) Trial System
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – EVoluSIon Study using the Zyga SImmetry Sacroiliac Joint Fusion System
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes of PureGen ™ Osteoprogenitor Cell Allograft in Posterior Lumbar and Transforaminal Interbody Fusion Procedures
- TRANSITION ® versus PEEK: A Study of Adjacent Level Pain Syndrome Related to Postoperative SI Joint Dysfunction in L4-S1 Fixations
- A Prospective, Multi-center, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo Controlled Pivotal Study of Ultrasound Therapy as Adjunctive Therapy for Increasing Posterolateral Fusion Success Following Single Level Posterior Instrumented Lumbar Surgery
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – The EMPOWER™ study: Eon Mini™ Study – Product Options for Wellness, Effectiveness, and Relief; A Multi-Centered Evaluation of Patients with Chronic Pain of the Trunk and/or Limbs using Paddle Lead(s).
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – Prospective, Multi-Center Clinical Outcomes Study Evaluating the ChronOS Strip Combined with Bone Marrow Aspirate plus Local Bone for Postero-lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion or Lumosacral Interbody Fusion
- A Prospective, Multi-Center, Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial Evaluating the Safety and Effectiveness of NuBac™ Disc Arthroplasty
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – Post-Market Surveillance of Clinical and Functional Outcomes with Post-Operative Adjunctive Use of Cervical Stim® or Spinal-Stim®
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – The Clinical and Radiographic Outcomes of Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Using a Novel Stand-Alone Interbody Fusion Device – (ROI-A) A Prospective, non-randomized multi-centered study
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Multi-Center, Prospective, Parallel Group, Randomized, Pilot Study Evaluating Safety and Preliminary Effectiveness of Prefix Compared to Iliac Crest Bone in Subjects with Degenerative Disc Disease Undergoing Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – An exploratory Phase 2 Study Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Fibrin Sealant, Vapor Heated, Solvent/Detergent Treated (FS VH S/D) 500 S-APR for the Sealing of Dura Defect Sutures in Posterior Fossa Surgery
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Prospective and Randomized Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of Total Facet Arthroplasty in the Treatment of Degenerative Spinal Stenosis
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – KAVIAR – Kyphoplasty and Vertebroplasty in the Augmentation and Restoration of Vertebral Body Compression Fractures
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Prospective Multi-Center, Randomized, Active-Controlled Study of the Wallis System for the Treatment of Mild to Moderate Degenerative Disc Disease of the Lumbar Spine
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR – A Multi-Center, Prospective, Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Cervical Arthroplasty to Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) for the Treatment of Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
- Indiana University School of Medicine
Doctorate of Medicine with Honors, 1996
- Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, New Jersey
Masters of Science : Management Planning/Finance, 1992.
Bachelor of Science : Chemical Biology, Physiology, 1992
Post Graduate Training
Clinical Fellowship, Trauma/Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery,
Department of Neurosurgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, January 2000 – July 2001
Clinical Fellowship, Complex Adult Spinal Deformity,
Department of Neurosurgery, VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, June 2001- December 2001
Resident, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Minnesota Hospitals & Clinics,
Minneapolis, Minnesota . June 1997 to June 2002
Intern, Department of General Surgery, University of Minnesota Hospitals & Clinics,
Minneapolis , Minnesota July 1996 to June 1997
Licenses and Certifications
- New York State Medical License No. 224683-1
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
- American Medical Association
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Diplomat, National Board of Examiners